Monday, August 31, 2009

A trip to the mall

So a common question we get is "how do you do it?" Our canned response is usually one day at a time. However to get into a little more detail I thought I would give you all the play by play of a simple trip out to the mall.

It all begins about and hour before we really want to leave the house. To make things a little easier, We are going to say Amber and I are on our game this day and we have planned to get out of the house by 11am. So its now 10am. The kids have been up from the morning nap about an hour and before we can think about anything else its time for a morning snack and a cup water. So now that the three of them have full and HAPPY bellies lets do a diaper change x 3 and find some clothes. For some reason our two girls have an adverstion of getting dress and really don't like clothes, I'm sure I wont be as luckily when they are teenagers and will want all the clothes in the world. However for now its kinda like alligator wrestling. They squirm, roll and whine all in the simple act of trying to put a shirt and a pair of pants on. Declan is a little easier to get dressed.

Ok so now where is everyone's shoes? Hmmm one there, other over there, how did this shoe end up in the kitchen?? anyways ok. Kids dressed. CHECK..

Wait now Amber and I need to find something for us to wear in public :) Pop in a little baby Einstein or Jack's Music Show and lets throw some clothes on. Check. Wait stop everything Ruari just spit up all over her clothes. Alligator wrestling round 2. Check!.

So now to pack the diaper bag. I will admit my bag, yes MY bag is usually pretty well packed so this doesn't take as long cause I just usually have to throw some fresh snacks in, but here is a small list of what you will find in the Baby Sherpa Backpack
1. At least 6 diapers
2. Case of wipes
3. 3 back up outfits
4. a couple wash clothes
5. 3 backup binkies
6. 2 toys
7. a small bin of animal crackers
8. a small bin of goldfish
9. a bag of cheerios
10. 3 sippy cups
11. a baby spoon

Actually this list has gotten smaller as the kids have got older. No more water and power for formula. no more nose sucker, etc...

OK bag is packed, CHECK! Wait stop where did emma's shoe go? Ahh the ball pit.. Back on her foot check!

Ok now lets get them out to the car. First I will grab two and Amber will grab one and off we go to the car to load and strap them all in.

Ok back in the house for me. grab the 3 primary binkis a couple toys for the car, the diaper bag... and out the door.

Ok so we are at the mall and its 11:10 am as well get everyone out of the car and into the stroller, Right now we use a single and a double. Seems to work well and keep the "OHHHH triplets" comments down to a minimum.

So the first stop at the mall, no not Sears, not the Gap, yes you guessed it, the food court, Its lunch time and to avoid major meltdown x 3 lets get those bellies full and happy. I will save the feeding out in public for a different post, just assume it takes a little planning and practice.

So there you have it. From 10am till 11am we have made it out the house and to the Food Court of the mall.

I would have to say Amber and I pretty much have this down to a science, I'm pretty sure either one of us could get any type of Logistics, supply job with the background we now have with running day to day show.

Again please feel free to ask any questions you have and Amber and I will try to answer the best we can. I promise the next post I will add some photos of kids, since I know that what you are all here for anyways :)

2 comments:

monica said...

Good job! I know it's a lot of work and you are doing a great job!

Twincerely,Olga said...

HI! I just wanted to stop by and say hi because Hughes is my maiden name!Your kids are gorgeous!! My twinnies are almost the same age!I am new to blogging so please stop by and say hi!